Tuesday, August 29, 2006

HATE IT...LOVE IT...CAN'T IGNORE IT

Weird thing….I’m actually starting to enjoy my stay in Calcutta. Crib as much as I may, but I am glad that I came here*. This statement however comes with a star if you look closely.

* This however, does not mean that I do not want to go back to Delhi. Delhi is much better any day.

Getting back to the point, Kolkata’s never short of action. If it’s not anything else, it’ll be the rains which will bring the action into your life. Torrential is the word…I haven’t seen as heavy a downpour in my life ever. Just when u think it can’t get heavier it does…and just when you think it wouldn’t stop it does. It rains for 20 mins half an hour and then abruptly stops.

I’ve found this really cool bowling joint in Kolkata**. Not very expensive and it has beer too. (Not that I am a beer guzzler, but it always helps to increase the fun you’re having). So I usually spend my saturday evenings there.

** Cool by Kolkata standards, which as a matter of fact aren’t very high.

Talking about action…Rakhi Sawant was in Kol this past weekend. Now that’s some serious action for people here. The tickets were going for 600 bucks a person***!!! They were serving drinks too....

***(Okay…I admit I did ask for the price….but it was more because of me getting bored than anything else! I AM NOT A RAKHI SAWANT FAN!!)

Watched Ahista Ahista this weekend as well….decent flick…a lil slow!! But I guess, I should’ve understood that by the name …..Soha Ali looks good and acts well! I think shez the prettiest thing to happen after Preity Zinta… You gotta see it….its different….realistic :).

I also managed to get stuck in the rain a couple of days back. As a matter of pride, I refuse to carry an umbrella with me. I used to hate it in school and I hate it now. Then I had no option….now I do. However, all who’ve been in Kolkata would consider me stoopid after reading the statement that I just made. I don’t care….I wouldn’t be seen dead with an umbrella in my hand….not now…not ever! I guess I have something against umbrella’s!

Now…. Kolkata is dirty….and rains make it dirtier….The roads give in, there’s water logging everywhere and there are cars still driving at 60 kmph splashing the muddy rain water on you.

Here are a few facts…rather laws regarding Kolkata …!
  • The probability of a passing by car/bus splashing muddy water on you is directly proportional to the importance of the occasion you are dressed up for.
  • Between any two potholes there is always a road.
  • If matters get worse, one pothole is always bigger than the other
  • The depth of the pothole is inversely proportional to the product of its visibility and the speed you are driving at.
  • No matter what you wear….No matter where you go….No matter what you do…you WILL get wet.
  • No matter what you do, you cannot avoid a pothole. Avoiding one will lead you into another.
    Always be ready to take your shoes off and walk it. When it rains, there will be waterlogging and you will have to do it.
  • No matter what you do, your clothes will never dry!!

Hey did I mention that I tried crab soup?? It looked more like a normal sweet corn with egg in it….I had to search for the crab in it with a magnifying glass which I forgot to carry with me….! The pieces were so small that they dint even have a taste….Disappointing crab!

Works going ok…september’s the D-month. Gotta finish my work by then…so a lil more seriousness has to come in….Can’t see it coming from anywhere.

More soon…..coz now is not forever!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ya!!! whr did ya try the crab soup??? n another thing, i can prove all the laws rong... xcept 4 the one wich states "between 2 potholes there is a road"... i kno ya dnt like kol half as much as ya make it out to b... but its nice 2 c ya tryin 2 - eh - get used to it... wishing u a speedy return to delhi...

Anonymous said...

hey! i dont like umbrellas either, but now that i have to walk to my classes that are like at least 10 minutes of walking apart and with all the snow, and how i dont like when my hair frizzes, i HAVE to carry one! stupid thing takes up sooo much space in my bag, bc of course i have to carry a cute one that just happens to not be one of those small compact ones and is obviously wet after the rain so what are you suppose to do with it when its all wet?!?! im not putting that thing in my bag when its wet, that causes other problems...i feel ur umbrella pain! :P

ishipishi said...

i've never stayed in Cal for more than two days! And thank Heavens for that....the city is chaotic!!:)

and rains in Cal make it messier...*sigh...so true!

never had the chance to realllyyy explore cal or check out its "cool"?!! side....maybe in my next stopover...i will be more adventurous!

and hey nice pics in ur previous posts...lovely!

tc...

Anonymous said...

hey... getting back 2 u on ur comment...
a) i wasnt cribbin abt my age. i like being 17!
b) I DO NOT DANCE! i used 2, but tat was a loooong time ago. i do not want to make a fool of myself nor do i want to be blamed for the earthquake that would hit!
c) we will c abt all the "going out" stuff... if im bald, then... neways...
AND
d) U SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO like rakhi sawant!

Boogerworm said...

Hey, when I was reading about the rains, all I could think about was the umbrella you refuse to carry. I am glad u r liking it (no comparison with delhi though)... Nice rules, someone has a lot of spare time... good.

Anonymous said...

I have been to kolkatta only a couple of times and not stayed for very long. Its too crowded like Mumbai. Delhi is any day better than both from this point of view.

Sphinx said...

@ me

1) U always crib about being 17.
2)O ur soooo gonna Dance
3) U will not go bald...even if u i'll still love to see u dance
4)WE now know who LOVES Rakhi Sawant.

@ anonymous D
Never put wet umbrella in ur bag....it strts to stink:P.

@ishita
there isn't too much of a cool side to cal...its basically just 1 street and a half. Lemme know whenevr u come:P

@buls
O yeah @ a lot of spare time...but i often get busy as well. and i remember that i am tagged:P. TY!! My first one;)

@ hiren
Thanks for visiting. Read a bit of ur blog too...loved it. Will come back for more. Delhi definitely is better:)

Anonymous said...

ooooh trust me... i ur secrets safe wid me... sphinx... u like her... u luuuuuv her... lolz.. as much as i like himesh reshamiya... n dnt u wrry... i will nt dance, n i will go bald... m sure of it! mere saath kabhi kuch accha hote hue dekha hai?? lolz... its so tragic that it borders on funny

Anonymous said...

wat am suppose to say now..being a bong n reading so good abt cal..hmmnn..neway truth is truth accepting dat humbly!!!

Sam said...

regarding teh rain... hehe.. its true...
as far as umbrellas goes.. never bothered to carry any..... been given many and manage to lose all of them within two days... rather liek to get wet... though not teh water logging. YUCK!!
as far as potholes go.. ummm try pune!!
i'm sure you'll think again.....
as far as cool places in kol goes....... well... they are nothing compared to mumbai, delhi or pune (the only other cities i'm acquainted with!!)....
wonder which bowling alley u were talking about?? left kolkata nearly 6 yrs now!!