Friday, August 04, 2006

Days Go On and ON!!

This'll be long. I had this weird urge to write something today. I doesn't usually happen to me...but I guess today was just one of those days! I was feeling miserable all of yesterday. Reason? Coz I was thinking a lot. Thinking...it makes me grouchy!! Here's an account of a normal day for me..

It starts with me waking up at 8 in the morning and getting done with the 'usuals' by about 9. Thats also when I have my breakfast delivered at the doorstep everyday.More often than not I know what'd be inside those cardboard dabbas...Rotis with aaloo ki sabzi. Yup...thats my breakfast ...day after day....week after week!! I'm sure the caterer has done a Diploma in aaloo cookery. I haven'thad as much aaloo in my entire 25 years.Sundays are a respite as the guy does not deliver on Sunday and I can have whatever I feel like or nothing at all!

I gulp it down in 10 mins as though its a medicine often not even cherishing the taste (very uncharacteristic of me).I walk to the same auto shop and take an auto which takes 15 mins to take me to office. The autos are weird here. They have a concept of shared autos. 3 people at the back and 2 in the front with the driver. The traffic is horrendous. I don't forget to thank God every day for making me see one more day! I reach office by about 9:40. The first thing I do is open my mails and hope against hope that somebody remembered me. Often all I end up reading are "fwds" and "All at Kolkata" mails. 10's when I start to think ...what next? I call it the "what next" analysis!
Almost every alternate day I try and meet my boss. I have a 17% success rate!Which means I get to meet him 17 times out of a 100 tries;which I must add is pretty god going considering how busy he is. The boss...I think he thinks faster than he can talk so often what he is trying to imply goes right over me reminding me of the "Financial Accounting" ke lectures. Its almost the same "clueless" feeling. I often walk out feeling," I wish I hadn't gone in!"Having done what I needed to do I come back and do the "What next" analysis again. Often it ends up in me staring at the montitor for an hour and surfing random sites.

I do go on regular "data hunts" as well. Its for the numbers I need for my project to make it look like a project which has been worked upon. My strike rate here is even poorer 0.17% would be more like it.I often get shooed away by people... I now know what dogs feel like when I shoo them off. At times ( & I repeat at times) I do get what I am looking for. Its more out of poeple getting irritated with my persevearance than anything else.U know...its the "jobless-guy-will-pester-give-data" feeling that they probabaly go through when they see me.

Once I have what I want, I sit with it and start going through people's blogs. Today I'm updating mine as well. Its more like waiting for the clock to strike 1 coz thats when I get to eat!! (One of my favouritest things in life nowadays!). An hour is the lunch time which often extends to 2.
I come back to my seat determined to work ....a little. So what do i do....... I look at the data. Open the excel and strt working atleast pretending that I am working. Ofcourse I need my breaks coz pretending to work is tough....U try it!!I always have my internal messenger open. I've learnt quite a bit in excel...thanks to a friend of mine and I keep testing my newly attained knowledge on the numbers in front of me. Its 5 and the wait for the clock to strike 6 starts. Dot 6 and I'm outta there!

Reach home by 6:30 and then an hour for the TV.I either get bored of it by then or I just sleep off on the couch. Often I go sit on the net for while and check again if anyone remembered me! Orkut helps a lot....connect to my world!!!Kolkata still feels awesomely alienic (thats my term for aliener that alien)

8:30 dinner...we have a fixed list of 5 restaurants around our house where we go on a rotational basis and also depending on the financial condition which in my case happens to be poor all the time..and especially now that I purcashed the N 70!!My usual dinner...Egg Chicken Fried rice...each plate of which costs me 28 rupees!I come back and get back to my "what next" analysis.

Thats when the phone comes in handy and so does the 3000 rupees of free calls each month...thanks to airtel!Some lucky people get to here from me...but then I fear that they'd start to think in terms of "jobless-guy-will-pester-haveto-talk". So I get off and put on my headphones with the music playing till I am ready to doze off!
I don't even know if I should be complaining!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u wait till i gt der.i cnt garantee tat u'l hv a gd time wid me arnd (ask any1 hu knos me n dey'l tel ya dey lv 2 hate me).bt i cn try n gv it my bst shot 2 mk things a lil mr intrstin 4 u.tats wt frends r 4 rite?
n u kno wt?honstly,kol is nt all at bad.i mean sure,evryday d traffic mks ya feel lk 1 of dem rally car drivers...n yeah dey relly stick 2 tried n tested food habits - bt tats d chaos of kolkata!u dnt find it newhr else n it does begin 2 gro on ya aftr a while...i hope u find a reasn 2 luk 4wrd 2 evryday while ur der...