Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Kolkata...."rolls" on!!!

The wee hours of the 8th of June was when I saw this city for the first time....the city which is to be my home for the next 6 months. I walked out of the airport to see drops of rain...were they signifying anything? I'd hope not...!

I had a car waiting for me outside and as soon as I read my name on the board I couldn't help but smile.....I had worked hard for this day...!The person took my bag to a guesthouse where i'm staying. I've gotten so used to the comfort of living at home. now that I have stepped out I realize how thankful I am for the life I've had.....for the delicious food my mom makes, for the washed clothes i got everyday, for the clean room I stayed in, for the TV i watched, for the PC I had....I miss it all!!!

Having said that, I don't have too much to complain....atleast not yet...!!Food in Calcutta is .....umm....lets say different. I just love the "rolls" around here..and eat a whole lot of them. So I ain't getting any thinner...! You have to be in Kolkata to appreciate things around here. You would hate it to start of with and then you’d realize….hang on …its not all that bad a place…Here are a few things which amazed me about the city.

  • The pace….people never seem to be in any sort of a hurry. Horrific traffic, slow moving trams, bad roads….yet, noone complains…ever!
    The people….. considering the awesomely hot and humid weather, not to mention the shabby infrastructure I already mentioned, you would expect people to have a really short temper. But no…I haven’t seen 2 bengali’s fight yet…and its been almost 5 days! Probably they are too lazy to fight!!!
  • The pride….for one I being a punjabi would hate to caught talking in punjabi in office….but people here are proud of their language….They wouldn’t give it up for anything. So its bengali in offices, bengali in markets, Bengali all around. (By the way here’s sumthing which is peculiar about the lingo…there are no “a’s” only “o’s”……there are no “S” only “sh”…. Weird!!!)
  • The divide….extreme poverty! I thought delhi was bad….you can see the poor…mostly Bangladeshi refugees living in horrible conditions!!
  • The Ambassador’s…. You would be lucky if you saw any other car here….!!! And people will wonder why you didn’t buy a amby!! I wonder why this infatuation with amby….. leftism at its pinnacle I guess!!
  • Politics….Okay..U have to believe this coz I saw this with my very own eyes….A random person with a megaphone delivering a “speech” on “increased fuel prices” on a random corner and random people actually stopping ant listening to him…..!!

    I’m sure I’ll keep unearthing more about Calcutta…..there’s so much to discover…good and bad!!

    More later….Now’s not forever:-).

7 comments:

zeenat said...

hi..
sounds interestin, ur new home!
no offense, but then i didnt think dilli was tht grt either ;)
have fun tanuj..

Sphinx said...

Hi Z

Am soo glad to have you around me:).

Hey Delhi is a good place...most people just don't give it a chance..its more of hearing and hating the city....sure it has a lot of negativities...but it has its positives too....me being one;)!

Boogerworm said...

hey, nice to know that u are getting used to the city...

Anonymous said...

accha just read recent new updates :) seems like you're getting to like Kolkata! I've read so much about the city good and bad and now you're there! experience it and enjoy it as much as you can, live it and breathe the humid air and speak the language and relish the food :D! Picking up the language and becoming a bengoli babu? and eat shondesh!

Anonymous said...

man...u were amazed by things a punjabi delhite can never imagine living wid in his worst dreams!! hats off 2 u man!

Indigo Nyx said...

awesum Tanuj. Brilliant post there. I saw dis film called THE BONG CONNECTION yet to be released outside d film festivals. and mannn dis so sounds like definin dat film. I am actually quite fascinated mahself offlate thanx to d stuff i am readin abt Tagore. U must visit Shantiniketan sumtime n temme how it is. Rashogulla ahoyyyy!

Sam said...

Hey... again a nice one... (phew!! i have to stop saying this one!! :P)
teh language: buddy, bongs have each and every reason to be proud of it..... i'm sure you have found taht out!!
the ambys: looks like u've seen only govt cars and taxis!! i can assure u these cars are a dwindling lot..... and as of 2006 easily being taken on by maruti (delhi's got loads of it!!), and santros (i'm sick of seeing dat car on teh road so much!!), and the other sedan class very much in existence alive and kicking... wonder wer u were put up??
the time factor: hang on there...... think logically..... if u run in dat hot and humid a weather.. will it help u?? nad given teh leftist regime being in place for more 25 yrs now... the lackadaisical attitude at work has permeated at each and every level... and teh youngsters who gun for their work... and hate to move slow... leave town asap!! wonder whom should you be balming them??
politics: hehe...the bane of a bong - chat (adda), discussion.... wot u saw was a simple manifestation of the same on a political platform...